Kenyatta National Hospital Chief Executive Officer Dr. Richard Lesiyampe has announced he will not contest the Samburu gubernatorial seat in the 2027 general election.
Lesiyampe, who previously vied for the seat in 2022, said he remains grateful to his supporters but will not be on the ballot next time.
In an official statement dated August 31, he stated that politics has never been about titles or positions for him, but about serving the people.
“After deep reflection and consultation with those I trust, I have made the decision not to vie for the Samburu gubernatorial seat,” Lesiyampe said.
“Politics, for me, has never been about titles or positions. It has always been about service to the people and to the values we hold dear.”
Richard Lesiyampe on Leadership
He added that stepping aside allows others the opportunity to rise in leadership, describing it not as an end of his service but “the closing of one chapter and the opening of another.”
Lesiyampe urged contestants eyeing the Samburu governor’s seat in 2027 to pursue leadership with humility, integrity, and compassion, while extending his goodwill to them.
“History does not only remember those who win elections, but those who serve with humility, integrity, and compassion,” he said.
Also Read: Church Denies, State Insists: Mudavadi Hits Back with SHA Records
Lesiyampe, a seasoned public servant and health administrator, ran unsuccessfully in 2022 but retained a strong support base in Samburu.
His withdrawal from the 2027 race is likely to reshape the political contest in the region, where several aspirants are already preparing their bids.
Appointment as KNH CEO
Dr. Richard Lesiyampe assumed the role of Acting Chief Executive Officer of Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH).
The appointment, announced by Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale, sees Lesiyampe succeed Dr. Evanson Kamuri, who exits after serving for six years.
Kamuri, in his parting remarks, wished his successor success and urged the hospital to maintain its high standards of healthcare.
The leadership transition was overseen by Medical Services Principal Secretary Dr. Ouma Oluga, who called on the new KNH boss to develop strategies that would enable the hospital to plug a Sh3 billion budget shortfall.
“The hospital has many challenges, particularly around financing,” Oluga said. “We don’t have much advice for him, only expectations that he will steer the facility closer to the vision we all share.”
Lesiyampe, returning to KNH for a second stint, pledged to focus on strengthening leadership and empowering medical staff to provide quality care.
Also Read: Senate Saves Kericho Governor from Impeachment
“My role is to create an enabling environment for our doctors, nurses, and staff to realize their full potential in serving patients,” he said.
Previous Position
Before this posting, Lesiyampe was Acting CEO at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH).
He is credited with extensive experience in hospital management and reforms, which he is expected to apply in enhancing governance, clinical services, and administration at KNH.
Joshua Clinton Ombiri Okise tapped to serve as Acting CEO of JOOTRH, where he will oversee continuity of operations and guide the hospital following its elevation to Level 6 status.
Follow our WhatsApp Channel and X Account for real-time news updates.
