President William Ruto has broken his silence following the brutal killing of gospel singer Rachel Wandeto, warning that those spreading hate and violence will face the full force of the law.
Speaking in Mombasa three days after the artist succumbed to severe burn injuries at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH), Ruto termed the attack shocking and unacceptable, saying it reflected a growing culture of intolerance that must be urgently addressed.
He said no Kenyan should suffer harm because of their beliefs or associations and pledged decisive action against those behind such acts.
“No Kenyan should be harmed because of their beliefs or associations, and those responsible for such acts will face the full force of the law,” Ruto stated.
Rachel Wandeto, who had attracted national attention after openly declaring her support for the President, died on May 18 after being attacked in Mwiki, Kasarani, by unknown assailants who doused her with petrol and set her on fire.
Her death has sparked widespread outrage, with leaders, activists, and members of the public calling for justice and stronger action against violence targeting individuals.
Rachel Wandeto’s Final Account
Before her death, Rachel Wandeto gave a chilling account of the attack from her hospital bed, describing how she was confronted by a group of men who accused her of benefiting from government support.
“They were telling me that I have decided to be eating the government’s money alone,” she said, recounting the moments leading up to the brutal assault.
Also Read:Â Linet Toto’s Former Employee Wins Nearly Ksh1 Million Over Unfair FiringÂ
She said the attackers had followed her before surrounding her and forcing her to walk along the road.
According to her account, the attackers also demanded money they believed she had received, but she told them she had none.
“They surrounded me and asked me to keep walking. They dragged me, poured petrol on me, and set me on fire. They asked why I was eating the money given to me. I told them I did not have any,” she narrated.
Her account has since drawn attention as it directly links the attack to accusations made by the assailants over perceived benefits from her political support.
Calls for Action
Ruto used the incident to issue a strong warning against what he described as dangerous politics of hatred and division, saying the country must reject violence in all its forms.
Also Read: Court Affirms Employers’ Right to Dismiss Employees Without Prosecution
He said security agencies had been directed to move with speed to investigate the killing and ensure those responsible are brought to justice.
The President noted that rising hostility and incitement, especially at the grassroots level, risk undermining national unity and stability if not addressed firmly.
Meanwhile, detectives have sought to detain a taxi driver, Josiah Njeru Njiru, believed to be a key suspect in the killing, citing phone records, call logs, and location data linking him to Wandeto’s movements on the night of the attack.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) told the court that the suspect was the last known contact with Wandeto and that his mobile phone signals placed him in Mwiki, Kasarani, at the time she was attacked.
Investigators further said preliminary analysis shows communication between the suspect and the victim shortly before the incident, raising suspicion about his possible involvement and knowledge of her movements.
They told the court they require 21 days to complete forensic analysis of mobile data, examine call patterns, trace movement timelines, interview key witnesses, and verify inconsistencies in the suspect’s account.
The court is expected to rule on the application as investigations into the killing continue.





