First year students are set to join public universities across the country, starting September, according to the Ministry of Education‘s schedule. It will be an exciting experience for hundreds of freshmen women.
It will be a new journey for most of the students since universities operate differently from high schools. As such, many will experience culture shock – They will experience life that has often been imaginary to them.
In addition, this year’s admission is unique after the government introduced a new funding model that has disrupted the higher education sector.
From the headache of chasing the Higher Education Loans Board – HELB to applying for scholarships, it’s a rough time for parents.
Nonetheless, apart from the hustle of finding tuition fees, first year students also have the bare minimum items one will need for smooth start for the first semester.
Here are some of the items you will require if you are joining campus this September. Importantly, the requirements may differ from one institution to another or from program to program.
For instance, the requirements for a student joining a medical school would be different from a student pursuing anthropology.
University Admission Documents
First year students must carry specific documents required during the admission process
- Original birth certificate/ Identity Card (ID)
- Original Educational Certificates i.e KCSE result slip/certificate or a diploma certificate
- Bank Fee Payment Receipts
- Admission Letter
- Medical Forms (each institution has a specific form)
Most universities only provide a bed and mattresses.
The other bedroom materials are not provided as part of campus accommodation.
Therefore, you should carry the following.
- Blankets or Duvet
- Bed cover
- Mosquito Net
First year students need enough clothes
In University, students are free to wear any kind of clothes. However, other factors may determine the type of clothing, especially the location of the university.
For example, someone joining Pwani University may not require warm outfits as those joining Karatina University. Therefore, understand the weather.
Therefore, it is up to first year students to choose what to buy while joining university but here are some suggestions.
Casual clothes (t-shirts, Shirts, pullover, skirts, jumpers, trousers, Jacket)
- Underwear (pants)
- Bras (ladies only)
- Night dress
First year students should carry the following bathroom materials
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Bathing Soap
- Washing soap and powder
- Tissue Roll
- Sanitary Towels (for ladies)
- Washing Troughs and Buckets
- Hair Comb
- Hand mirror
- Shower cap
- Pens and pencils
- Enough exercise books for copying notes, preferably hardcover or A4.
- Notebook (for library purposes)
- Foolscaps, for Continuous Assessment Tests (CATs)
- Laptop or desktop computer: This is important for doing assignments and attending virtual lessons. There are also universities which conduct specific examinations online.
Note that laptops are mandatory for courses like Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Information Science, Computer Technology, and Information Technology Communication Technology (ICT).
Some courses including mathematics and statistics require you to have a good scientific calculator.
- Smartphone and Charger: This is particularly important for communication with other students, lecturers and even the parents.
The emphasis is on buying a smartphone because most of the campuses make use of WhatsApp groups to pass information relating to lectures and CATs.
Smartphone are also key in attending online classes, submitting assignments, doing research among other things.
Some universities allow students to prepare their own meals in hostels while others have strict policies against the practice.
However, have basic dining items when joining campus, including the following:
- Cutlery (teaspoons, tablespoons, knives, and forks)
- Crockery (plates, and cups)