Education Cabinet Secretary Ezekiel Machogu on Monday, July 31 announced the placement of 2022 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) students to various universities, colleges and TVETS by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS).
Likewise, the CS noted that portals for loan application were already opened for students to begin applying for government loans and scholarships in the new funding model.
However, to apply for the government funding form the newly launched Higher Education Financing Portal, students need to meet several requirements.
Here is a list of requirements to apply for government funding in the New Funding Model for the 2022 KCSE group.
Checklist for Loan and Scholarship Application
- A valid email address.
- Valid telephone number (must be registered in your name to apply for a loan).
- KCPE and KCSE index numbers and year of examination.
- Passport size photo.
- Copy of your National ID (for loan application).
- College/University admission letter.
- Birth certificate
- Parents’ registered telephone number.
- Your parents’ national ID number.
- Death certificate if any of your parent is deceased.
- Two guarantors’ ID numbers and registered telephone numbers (for loan application).
New Funding Model
Nevertheless, students can now make formal application through the Higher Education Financing Portal www.hef.co.ke
According to the new model, needy students will not have to pay school fees as they will be funded through government scholarships, loans, and bursaries.
Needy students joining universities will receive government scholarships of up to a maximum of 53 per cent and loans of up to 40 per cent.
Furthermore, the less needy students joining universities will be funded through a government scholarship of up to a maximum of 38 per cent of the cost of the programme and 55 per cent in the form of loans.
Students joining TVETS will be funded 32 per cent for government scholarship, 48 per cent for loans and their households will pay 20 per cent of the costs.