Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo has defended the government’s security record, stating improvements across the country, while calling on Kenyans to exercise their right to protest within the law.
Speaking during an interview on May 19, Omollo said the security situation has stabilized since the current administration took office.
He recalled that Nairobi’s central business district previously experienced frequent mugging and criminal incidents, while other regions, such as the North Rift, were grappling with banditry alongside persistent terrorism threats.
“When we took over, there were muggings and all manner of incidents happening right within the Nairobi CBD. We faced the challenge of banditry in the North Rift, alongside pressure and challenges from terrorism,” stated the PS.
PS Raymond Omollo Defends Security Gains
According to the PS, joint efforts across the security sector have played a key role in restoring order and improving safety across the country.
Also Read: PS Raymond Omollo Leads Drive to Shield Widows from Disinheritance
Ramond Omollo said the progress is a result of close cooperation among security agencies under the leadership of President William Ruto and Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen. He added that despite ongoing public and political discussions, many people agree that security has improved.
He also addressed the issue of protests, noting that demonstrations and strikes are rights protected by the Constitution for all Kenyans. However, he stressed that those taking part must operate within the law.
“Strikes and demonstrations are rights guaranteed by the Constitution. As long as those involved remain within the confines of the law, we too, as security actors, will play our part responsibly,” noted Omollo
He said security agencies are ready to manage protests responsibly, as long as participants remain peaceful and follow the law.
The PS also raised concerns about political incitement linked to protests, saying that investigations are already underway. He assured the public that anyone found responsible will face the full force of the law and urged Kenyans to remain calm as authorities handle the matter.
Dr. Omollo stated that security is vital to development, noting that a stable environment allows businesses to operate and projects to continue.
He pointed to ongoing road construction in areas that were once insecure, including parts of northeastern Kenya, as evidence of progress.
In addition, he urged young people not to be used to fuel political violence, calling on leaders to stop exploiting youth for disruptive activities.
Instead, he emphasized the need to empower young people economically and provide them with opportunities for growth.
“My agenda is to find ways we can uplift young people from the shackles of desperation and empower them to be independent,” stated Omollo.
Police Commander Reports on Alleged Goons Infiltration
The police commander Issa Mohamud, on May 18, revealed that the police had received intelligence reports of the possibility of infiltration by hired goons during the countrywide Matatu protests.
Also Read: Boost for Kenyan Investors as First Infrastructure Fund Lists on NSE
He said the individuals were suspected of being armed and intended to exploit the situation to carry out criminal activity.
According to Mohamud, the plans included looting of supermarkets and shops, destruction of both public and private property, and incitement of violence among crowds.
Mohamud said they had credible intelligence indicating that hired goons, allegedly armed with Korean weapons, were planning to exploit the situation.
He noted that beyond illegality, authorities had information that these individuals intended to loot supermarkets and shops, destroy both private and public property, and incite others to engage in malicious damage.
However, Dr. Raymond Omollo said security agencies were well prepared, with officers under clear instructions to maintain law and order, protect lives and property, and keep roads and key infrastructure open.





