The government has strongly condemned the wave of chaos, violence, looting, and disruption of transport witnessed across the country during Monday’s demonstrations over fuel price hikes, saying the protests were hijacked by political actors pursuing ulterior motives.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen said in a statement: “It is quite unfortunate, however, that today’s protests, which were called by public transport operators, were once again hijacked by rogue political actors with the sole aim of furthering their selfish political agenda.”
Murkomen added that while the right to protest is constitutionally protected, the events witnessed had been overtaken by organized violence, property destruction, and attacks on key infrastructure, warning that such actions could not resolve the fuel crisis.
The statement comes in the wake of nationwide demonstrations triggered by a rise in fuel prices, with super petrol retailing at Ksh 214.25, diesel at Ksh 242.92, and kerosene at Ksh 152.78 following the latest review.
The government said the price increases were largely driven by a global political crisis that has disrupted international oil supply chains, stressing that mitigation measures were already underway.
Engagements to Stabilise Fuel Prices
At the same time, President William Ruto has convened a high-level task force led by Deputy President Kithure Kindiki, bringing together Cabinet Secretaries John Mbadi (National Treasury), Davis Chirchir (Energy and Petroleum), Opiyo Wandayi (Environment, Climate Change and Forestry) and Murkomen, alongside key stakeholders from the transport and petroleum sectors, to urgently engage on solutions to stabilise fuel prices and cushion Kenyans from further shocks.
Murkomen said the ongoing engagements between the National Treasury, Ministry of Energy and Petroleum, and Ministry of Transport, together with industry players, are expected to yield lasting solutions to the crisis.
Also Read: Police Commander Lifts Lid on How Nairobi Protests Were Executed
Concerns were also raised over what authorities described as a coordinated scheme involving sections of the political class allegedly mobilising gangs to target government projects, businesses and individuals perceived to support the administration.
Incidents cited include the burning of a UDA office in Wote, Makueni County, the torching of trucks at the Rironi–Mau Summit Road project site and looting of businesses in various parts of the country, alongside attacks linked to the unrest, including the case of Rachel Wandeto, who passed on following a violent incident.
Murkomen Confims 4 Dead
Murkomen said the unrest also left four Kenyans dead and more than 30 others injured, warning that the full force of the law would be applied against organisers and sponsors of the violence.
The government further assured Kenyans that lawlessness would not be tolerated, stating that security agencies had been deployed to restore order, clear blocked roads and ensure safe movement for citizens.
Also Read: 4 Dead as Murkomen Reveals Magnitude of Countrywide Protests
He also accused sections of the political class of using inflammatory rhetoric to fuel intolerance, ethnic profiling and intimidation of government supporters, insisting such conduct amounted to organised criminal activity rather than legitimate political dissent.
Murkomen questioned why similar disruptions were not observed during the tenure of former President Uhuru Kenyatta, suggesting that current events indicate targeted political profiling.
He further defended the government’s past record, saying: “We previously used constitutional and peaceful means to advocate for lower fuel prices while in opposition, without resorting to street protests,” and urged the current opposition to adopt the same approach.
The media was also cautioned to report events accurately and avoid describing perpetrators of violence as protesters, but rather as criminals, amid concerns over alleged distortion of facts in coverage of the unrest.




