Gender and Affirmative Action Cabinet Secretary Hanna Wendot Cheptumo has issued a statement following the circulation of a viral video featuring a Kenyan woman, identified as Marion Naipei.
In a statement released on January 18, 2026, CS Cheptumo said the Government had taken note of the disturbing footage, which has been widely shared on social media platforms.
The CS said the video involved the recording and distribution of images showing a woman in a vulnerable condition, an act she described as unacceptable and harmful.
She reaffirmed that the dignity, privacy, and bodily autonomy of every person are protected under the Constitution of Kenya, warning that any action that violates these rights amounts to a breach of the law.
Cheptumo also stressed that the constitution guarantees every individual the right to dignity and privacy, whether the violation occurs through direct action, inaction, or through digital means such as online sharing.
“Any conduct that undermines these rights, whether through action, omission or digital transmission, is unacceptable,” the Cabinet Secretary stated.
Also Read: Kenyan Police Officer James Tindi Graduates with a PhD Overseas
The Gender CS further raised concerns about the circumstances under which the video was recorded and later shared, noting that serious questions arise about consent and responsible behavior, especially in places where people may be at risk.
According to the CS, recording individuals without their consent, particularly when they are vulnerable, goes against both legal and ethical standards.
The CS noted that this applies even in nightlife spaces and other public venues where people may not be able to protect themselves.
“The circumstances surrounding the recording and distribution of this material raise serious concerns regarding consent, responsible conduct and compliance with existing legal and ethical standards,” the statement said.
Cheptumo revealed that her Ministry is working with relevant agencies to review the matter and establish whether any laws were broken during the recording or sharing of the video.
The Government also issued a direct appeal to members of the public to stop spreading the video or making harmful remarks about the woman involved.
Cheptumo urged Kenyans to show restraint and responsibility online by avoiding further sharing of the footage and refraining from comments that could cause additional harm or shame to the victim.
Also Read: Ruto, 6 CSs Make Fresh Appointments Across Key State Agencies
“We urge members of the public to exercise restraint and responsibility by refraining from the further circulation of such material and by avoiding commentary that may occasion additional harm,” the statement said.
Marion Naipei Speaks
In a report filed at Buruburu Police Station, the 23‑year‑old stated that she had gone out for leisure at a Nairobi entertainment establishment and later found clips of herself circulating widely on social media.
Naipei said she was intoxicated at the time the footage was recorded and was not in a position to give consent for any filming or sharing of the images.
She told officers that the individual who recorded the videos, a US-based caregiver visiting the country, was someone she knew and trusted, and that the clips were later uploaded online without her approval.
Naipei added that she only learnt about the videos after they had already spread across several social media platforms, making it difficult to control their circulation.
Marion Naipei denied claims that the footage was meant for public viewing or entertainment and said she had never authorised anyone to share it in any form.
The 23‑year‑old said her decision to report the matter, with the help of Citizen Engagement and Customer Service Chief Civil Servant Geoffrey Mosiria, was aimed at protecting her dignity and ensuring that those responsible are held accountable under the law.
Follow our WhatsApp Channel and X Account for real-time news updates.





